Monday, January 17, 2011

Tilapia and corn chowder

*283*

I made a Tialpia and corn chowder last night for dinner. It was really really good. Fred ate two bowls. He is a picky eater, so that must tell you something. I am going to post the recipe from Delish.com as is and my alterations so you can decide what you want to do. Tilapia is a nice firm fish and it does not have an overly fishy smell to it. Really good for kids and people that do not like fish that much. My dad was a fisherman so I loved all sorts of fish and seafood. You can get Tilapia in the freezer section of the grocery store or Walmart. The fillets are individually wrapped so you use as many as you want.

Tilapia Corn Chowder

Serves: 6 
Total Time: 45 min
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 30 min

Ingredients

  • 2 ounce(s) bacon
  • 1 teaspoon(s) canola oil
  • 1 stalk(s) celery, diced
  • 1  leek, white part only, halved lengthwise, rinsed and sliced thinly
  • 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon(s) freshly ground pepper
  • 4 cup(s) reduced-sodium chicken broth
  • 8  Yukon Gold potatoes, diced
  • 2 cup(s) fresh corn kernels
  • 1 1/2 pound(s) tilapia fillets
  • 1 teaspoon(s) finely chopped fresh thyme
  • 1 cup(s) half-and-half
  • 2 teaspoon(s) lemon juice
  • 2  chopped fresh chives
Directions
  1. Chop bacon and cook in a large Dutch oven over medium heat until crispy, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
  2. Add oil to the pan. Add celery, leek, salt and pepper and cook until the vegetables just begin to soften, about 2 minutes. Add broth, potatoes and corn. Bring to a gentle simmer. Cook until the potatoes are just tender and the corn is cooked through, about 8 minutes. Stir in tilapia and thyme; return to a gentle simmer. Cook until the tilapia is cooked through, about 4 minutes more. Remove from the heat.
  3. Stir in half-and-half, lemon juice and the reserved bacon. Garnish with chives, if using.

*I did not use the bacon because I did not have any. I did not use celery because cooked celery grosses me out..LOL I had a leek and I had 2 small sweet Vidalia salad onions. I chopped those and put in the oil like the recipe. I used 4 cups of veggie broth because that is what I always have on hand (Vegan child). I used a standard sized can of corn. I did not have any chives. I have them growing in my yard but it is the dead of winter so we improvise! Oh, I added some red pepper flakes during the cooking time with the potatoes. This was a really good recipe. I bet it tastes great as is but if I do not have something I learn to live without. Give it a try!*

No comments:

Post a Comment