Friday, April 20, 2012

Diet Pepsi is a Necessity!



I bought a fountain Diet Pepsi for 89cents from my change in my wallet this morning. I had not had a coffee and I needed the caffeine jolt. Sue me! :)
The other thing that was not something I should have bought was at the $5 store.  Chelsea owes me $10 because she forgot her wallet for supplies for a weekend retreat. She needed a flash light and a rain poncho.
Otherwise I have $80 left out of the $200 I started with this morning. Chelsea will give me my $10 and Raymond owes me $10. That`s $100 for next week. $50 from Fred will pay for gas this week.
I did good.
I even bought chicken and a package of organic knockwurst. I use the sausage for rice and beans.
Then I saved money. I cooked half a slab of bacon at $1.25 for that half. I made BLTs and 2 egg salad sandwiches for the four of us. If I bought small grinders, that would have been $20!
See?
Money is a sneaky bastard.

This was going to just be a reply but I figured I would just say what I had to say. I hid my money away so that I would not spend it and it doesn't just disappear. I have mapped out about 5 days of meals so far for the weekend and this coming week. Tonight is going to be:

Cheeseburger Macaroni with garlic bread
1 lb lean hamburger meat
1 pkg taco seasoning
1 can Rotel tomatoes and green chilies (or petite diced tomatoes) (Not adding cause of Natalie)
2 cups beef broth (or water)
1 cup elbow macaroni
Brown and drain hamburger meat. Stir in taco seasoning, Rotel, beef broth, and macaroni. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat and cover pan. Simmer 12-14 mins until macaroni is tender.
Meanwhile, make the cheese sauce….
2 Tablespoons butter
2 tbsp flour
3/4 cup milk
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
Melt the butter in a saucepan. Whisk in the flour and cook, whisking for 5 minutes until fragrant and light brown in color. Whisk in the milk and bring to a boil. Whisk until smooth and thickened. Remove from heat and stir in the shredded cheddar cheese until melted. Add the salt and pepper to the cheese sauce. Pour the cheese sauce over the hamburger mixture. Stir gently to combine.
Serves 4.
I soooo want to add the Rotel but then Natalie will die of starvation and complain and want a pizza. So I will make it so everyone is happy.  I am also going to use some Velveeta for the sauce. Yummy!
Then I will take some butter and garlic, let it cook in a saucepan till they marry. Put that in the freezer for a fast blast of cold. Turn oven on 400 deg F. Cut french bread down the middle. Spread with the butter. Put in the oven. Cook till lightly browned.

So far so good. I havent died. But we will see how it goes as the days pass and I have not spent any money.

2 comments:

  1. Damn, that sounds really, REALLY good! Fuck takeout. Why would anyone want to eat that shit when they could eat your cooking?

    I'm proud of you for saving your money. Have you pulled out the Tightwad Gazettes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was good but both Natalie and I said maybe a no on the cheese. Because we both tasted it before the cheese sauce and it was good. Tasted like beef stroganoff minus the sour cream.
    I have those books next to my bed. I had been reading number 1 but I get side tracked by life. I think I am going to try to sit down and start up again.
    What I realized is some of what is writes is not relevant to us anymore because the economy has changed so much. She bitched about the prices in the 80s. I wonder what the hell she is saying about now? LOL

    ReplyDelete