Sunday, May 1, 2011

Budget meeting tonite

Depression Era Bread Line
*280*

I am sitting here eating pancakes and bacon. Yeah I know..Pancakes are bad. I am testing out the new insulin. I want to see if it does it`s job or not. It is 12:01pm but that is how we roll in this house. Late assed brunch on Sundays. The eggs do not get delivered until after 9am so that is how the meal progresses.  Egg delivery will be ending soon. He will be selling his eggs at Farmer`s markets and will not need the extra income of going to all the houses. I will miss him but my pocketbook will be a little fuller. His eggs are $4 a carton. They are so local I could go and watch them be plopped in the nest each morning if I wanted to. That is what you can FRESH! And I love them but it is just not feasible to continue to spend that amount (sometimes two dozen) a week on just eggs.
 We are having a budget meeting tonight with the girls. We are going to talk about money. As in Oldest is going to start paying us room and board every month, youngest is going to start cleaning the house to earn her keep and volunteer until she can find paying work, we are no longer spending money like we used to. Take out or Eating out will be reduced to once a month at the end of the month. Just once! No more taco bell, grinders, pizzas delivered for dinner or the like. All home made by the three women in the house. Natalie bitches that she does not like this or that..she is going to learn to cook now on a daily so that she can find things she likes that can be made.
There are an article in our local newspaper...front page..about the young kids (late teens and early 20s) that cannot find work, some are homeless, and eat at the soup kitchen. There were three kids featured. Natalie knew them all.  Two of the boys plan on sleeping in tents for the spring and summer. It clicked something in my head. We need to save money. Gas right now is $4.11 a gallon. Heating Oil was just as bad. We as a family need to start saving money because it could get worse!
 Budgetary wise we suck. We spend what we got and do not save shit. We do have 401k in place and that is multiplying but we have no rainy day fund. The WTF fund. I have done our budget, even adding a new to us car payment, and we can save $1000. So that is the plan. I am going to do my best to save save save.
 I am not a coupon person and I probably never will be. That is too much work for me. All I would do is spend time in front of computer printing thousands of coupons. No thank you! And they never have coupons on things like meat, butter, flour, sugar, or anything you can use to scratch make food.

So that is what is gonna happen. Hopefully there will be no tears...

1 comment:

  1. Good Luck Heidi. You are actually doing your girls a favor by teaching them to cook and clean. We have cut back on many things, it can be done. Cooking from scratch is healthier and way cheaper than fast food. We shop with a list and stick to it. Older children who live at home and are employed should pay rent and help around the house, how lucky for them you still let them live with you. You do your children no favors by doing everything for them.

    Hugs
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete