Thursday, May 5, 2011

Cinco de Mayo...also known as feed the need day!


*278* <----sustained for a week now..goodbye 80s

Cinco de Mayo  is observed in the United States as a celebration of Mexican heritage and pride, and to commemorate the cause of freedom and democracy during the first years of the American Civil War. In the state of Puebla, the date is observed to commemorate the Mexican army's unlikely victory over French forces at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862, under the leadership of General Ignacio Zaragoza Seguín. Contrary to widespread popular belief, Cinco de Mayo is not Mexico's Independence Day, the most important national patriotic holiday in Mexico, which occurs on September 16th.

  Now we all know (according to Wiki) what Cinco de Mayo is really about. It is not about gorging ourselves on mini tacos and doing tequila shots off of that hot dude or chic at the bar.  I will probably be making my standard carne asada. I know I have the meat but I do not think I have a lime. I will have to go pick some up. Maybe a couple tomatoes too so I can make some salsa.  I wonder if I have enough cheddar?  I am not really a drinker anymore. I used to be a major booze hound but not alcoholic territory. I knew when to say no. After I had kids and the years passed, I just did not really want it. I will occasionally get my drink on but those times are few and far between. Diabetes does not like alcohol.  If you are going to be out tonite drinking, Please be safe!
Two Astilibe and one forget me not
  I never did plant these yesterday. I was busy planting seeds and got side tracked. Then it started to downpour so I was done for the day. Today these pretties are going up those stairs behind them. In the shaded area to live a nice life in dappled sunshine. They will be happy, hopefully.
Oh I wanted to show you my free Earth Day tree from Lowe`s home improvement stores.....
Eastern White Pine
It is an Eastern White Pine tree. It has to live it`s life in a pot like this and then gradually it gets bigger into bigger pots. Then it goes into the ground. I will probably eventually plant it in the top yard in the back when it is old enough to handle being in the ground.  We will see if it survives the winter. I had wished for a fruit tree but you gets what they give ya.


 You will find that I will blab on and on about my gardening. Especially when the veggies start to come in. I get all excited over some produce! LOL I am truly sorry for that if it bores you to pieces. I just love to garden. I love that something that I put into the ground, prospered and came up to be something beautiful and edible and I did it organically. My dad had a veggie garden when I was growing up. We lived in an apartment in a big house. The landlady let him have a spot on the side. I think that is where the bug bit me when it came to plants. Before we owned a house, I had over 30 houseplants in my apartments. All different kinds that I pampered..LOL I have about.....10 now. three of them are cacti. I will always love it. I am no expert about stuff but if I know something, I will share. 
Okay, it is freaking cold in here! I have the kitchen window open behind me and my arms are cold. The temp outside says it is 59 deg F but I do not believe it. Feels colder. Brrrr!

No comments:

Post a Comment