Monday, May 28, 2012

Happy Memorial Day

*268*

I woke up sweating. Ugh! It is another humid one today. I do not mind heat. I really hate humidity. But I shouldn't complain. Because I complained about the non Spring we had.
 My Memorial day plans consist of puttering around the house, doing nothing at perfectly timed intervals, cooking out on the grill later on today.Oh! Fred and I are going to finally put that damn $7 grill together! I started it on Friday but could not get this doo-hickey on it. So he tried and he couldn't either. Then an online friend told me what to do so we are going to try that today. The old grill is on it`s last legs. This will probably be it`s last year. I will use it if we have alot to cook in one meal.







I would like to end this post with a poem about Memorial Day. It was written in June 1882 by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.

Decoration Day

Sleep, comrades, sleep and rest
On this Field of the Grounded Arms,
Where foes no more molest,
Nor sentry's shot alarms!

Ye have slept on the ground before,
And started to your feet
At the cannon's sudden roar,
Or the drum's redoubling beat.

But in this camp of Death
No sound your slumber breaks;
Here is no fevered breath,
No wound that bleeds and aches.

All is repose and peace,
Untrampled lies the sod;
The shouts of battle cease,
It is the Truce of God!

Rest, comrades, rest and sleep!
The thoughts of men shall be
As sentinels to keep
Your rest from danger free.

Your silent tents of green
We deck with fragrant flowers
Yours has the suffering been,
The memory shall be ours.

                              -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

No comments:

Post a Comment