Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Easter is not the same

*280*

    My kids are older and the holiday is not the same as it used to be. We do not have other family close by so it is not like we have a big family dinner to go to. I think I just reminisce about what it used to be like. Our elderly neighbor that used to live next door allowed us to use her very large yard for egg hunts. My two kids, two grandkids across the street, and another two down the street would hunt. I would go out early early..too bloody early in the morning of Easter to hide the eggs. I was up anyway putting the ham in the oven. I would make a large egg plate of deviled eggs. The kids would dye Easter eggs a couple days before hand. I would make traditional Italian Easter Bread for us and a couple friends. You would make the breads on Good Friday. I learned about it from our Italian neighbors next door when I was growing up.  She would make small ones to give to the neighbors. Yummy. It is a sweet bread and really good to slice and toast at breakfast time.
   Most people today have this THING about taking food from other people. I do not know if their kitchen is clean. I do not know if they washed their hands. Let me put it to you this way..If you KNOW the person giving it to you, it is safe. This germa-phobe shit that is going around really bugs the fuck out of me. I didn't mean to get that in there but it really pisses me off sometimes. Thankfully, I have quite a few friends that love how I cook and gladly take when I make things.
For a few years, I did not have to make Easter bread because we had an Italian bakery that made them. Not anymore. We have a couple Dominican bakeries but they do not know what I am talking about..so I will have to make it myself.
  I have to get the ham out of the deep freezer to defrost. I am making a ham, deviled eggs, and a medley of veggies. I just have to figure it out. The bakery is going to hold me a couple loaves of bread on Saturday and the Easter Bread.
I think I am all set. I do have to go to the store to buy the veggies and stuff for cooking. Hopefully it will be a nice day.
Not like in the past but still good.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment