Saturday, July 2, 2011

The fine art of Canning

*277*

*I have to wake Natalie in an hour to go to the gym so I have some time to chat*

 Fred and I were watching the cooking channel last night and this commercial came on. It is new, I had never seen it. I think it is cool. Really I do. I love to can foods. I have my canning supplies on the diningroom table as I type this.
I started this when we bought this house..about 13 years ago. I started with apple sauce. I was given an opportunity to buy half a peck of ginger gold apples for $5. They were seconds. They were gorgeous seconds! OMG! WTF am I gonna do with all these apples? I made apple sauce with them and canned them. It was a big hit with the family and with my friends. I did the same thing the next year but then I branched out and made raspberry/jalapeno jelly. That was good too (and I have not made that in a dogs age). A canning staple for me is strawberry jam. I start buying and freezing strawberries in May. I buy and buy until I think I have enough..which will be at the end of July and then I buy a shit load of sugar and pectin and I am ready to go.
 I scour yard sales for old canning jars that I can use. They have to be like the kind that takes collars and lids. You really cant use the really old ones with the rubber seals, not safe anymore. I use those for decoration.
 This year I have a bunch of people that want jam. I will make my bread and butter pickles. I made the sweet vidalias, and I am thinking I am going to try canning the local corn here. It is super sweet and tasty. Best in Connecticut. I want to put up a batch for the winter.
Oh yeah.. *putting up* is a term used when you can a batch of jars of goodies.
If you are ever ever ever interested in canning and need to ask a question, do not hesitate to ask me. It is not that hard once you read the guidelines and you have the instruments. That will be your biggest expense but once you spend it, you wont have to again.
Okay..I am going to drink some more coffee now

No comments:

Post a Comment