Thursday, July 21, 2011

Back to basics: My Frugality

My Mom loved him. Pedophile, right?
*272* <---I love it!

Frugality: on being sparing, thrifty, prudent or economical in the use of consumable resources such as food, time or money, avoiding waste, lavishness or extravagance.

I am slowly starting to revert back to my frugal ways. When I was younger with kids, I had to learn to have a good life with the money provided. It was the late 80s/early 90s. Fred had steady work at the hospital (thank god) but money was still tight. Kind of like now but not as drastic. I knew how to cook already but I learned how to cook other things..Bread, canning, and freezing. I learned how to make food stretch and how if a recipe says you need this..you can substitute if you do not have it. It is called making due or being frugal.
 I want to talk a little bit about things you can do and things that I am going to do. See, this frugal thing has always been in me but for the past 10 years, we had enough to live comfortably. We were not rich at all..so do not even let that enter your mind. We have resources at our disposal if we got into a major pickle but mostly we can fend for ourselves. Now that Chelsea lost her job (lay off) and both girls look like they will be living here for awhile, PLUS we are losing part of my Social Security in October...I have to adjust.
The new car is part of the reason but we needed a more reliable car anyway..See me justifying. LOL

You want to make sure you have an emergency cushion of cash just in case. I have decided that about $5000 would do the trick for us. That will pay our mortgage for 3 months and our bills for 3 months.  You should save the cushion before you even start on paying down your debt. I have not started the cushion yet. I have to see how much I have to work with.
   I have debt. I have nickle and dime debt. Like I owe my old dentist $200.  These are bills that piled up over the years as the economy got worse and worse. I feel badly owing them but I have other fish to fry. I have life bills to pay so that we are comfortable. One site that I like is called Simple Dollar.
I found a new website yesterday that also wanted to share. It is called Love Food Hate Waste. It teaches you how to not waste food. Portion sizes for the amount of people you are feeding. Recipes to use with leftovers. How to save time and money on your food. I have been slowing reading it and I like it very much. It is helping me because part of this frugality game is home. Home cooking for one. No KFC. No pizza palace. No Chili`s. None of it. We have to make a conscious effort to not spend on take out food. I am being serious about this too. The girls will try to break me but I am standing firm. There will be enough food in this house on a day to day basis that they can find things to make and eat. I already found one for dinner from the ground chicken that I took out of the freezer this morning, Spicy chicken burgers.

The one thing that I am going to be doing now is de-cluttering. If I have not used it in forever and I see no reason to hold on to it, it is going. If it is worth money, I will try to sell it. Otherwise I want it out of the house. If Chelsea or Natalie get it into their heads that THEY want it..I will buy big plastic totes to put in their rooms. They can store that shit in there. I do not want to see it anymore. I am going to go thru my arts and crafts stuff first. I am not getting rid of my minis! Do not think that! But the place is a big ole hodge podge mess and I can never find anything. It is time to clean it.
So yeah, de-cluttering, frugality, home cooking, and weight loss. That is a tall order, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment