Friday, October 14, 2011

I used to be a tightwad.





*no new scale yet*

Sorry about that. I was just about to post and then Fred`s Mom called on the phone. Family takes precedence over my blaaaahhhggg. She has been having a diffcult time since her move to upstate NY. I am not going to get into specifics but the many people in her boat could use a refresher course or a lesson in being frugal. Not saying she is an overspendy! It is just hard to remember how hardcore tight you can be when you have to.
 Back when Chelsea was little, I stumbled upon three books. I think I might have gotten them at a yard sale. I really do not remember. They were a series from the newsletter called the Tightwad Gazette by Amy Dacyczyn...that is pronounced Decision. Now you can get all three books in one easy paperback. Anyway, I loved these books from the moment I started to read them. It was all about how to save money. Really save money. Ways in your everyday life as a mother and home maker to do it. This was the 80s, but she and her hubby had 6 kids and lived off his $30k Navy salary. In seven years they saved $39,000. And in that same time period, they made major purchases like a car, a fridge, etc. They did not owe a dime to anyone. She did not work! One income. How unbelievable right?
To be perfectly honest, some of the things she did or does are really hardcore. I would never take two ply toilet paper and separate and make two rolls of toilet paper. I just aint gonna do it! But I did wash, dry, and re-use ziploc baggies. I did shop at bread stores and in the discount rack at the grocery. I shopped (and do shop) at yard sales and thrift stores. I will not buy used shoes unless they look practically new. And I will not buy undergarments but everything else I will.  All of my clothes from yard sales and thrift stores. And I get major compliments for my snappy wardrobe. I own designer clothes that I have paid $2 for cause it was the 50% day.
Why am I talking about this? Because I found myself a fellow tightwad. T, was talking about this and I jumped in with what I knew. She flipped out. OMG! Another tightwad!! We have another convert, J, who is going to borrow the books from the library. We are going to all read them and then have an online discussion. I cant wait. Oh, I forgot. I had lost the books a long time ago. Maybe I loaned them out, who knows. I did not think I needed them anymore cause the recession of the 80s-90s was over. Well, look where we are NOW! I need those books more then ever. Life sucks rats ass. So I called the Book Barn (used books) and asked. They had all three copies (for my local readers, they have plenty of copies at the store that is next to the movie theatre in Niantic). I picked them up yesterday with the girls in tow. $8 for all three. I gladly paid because i need to learn to stop doing that.
As we were in town, I decided to go to the health food store. I needed to pick up bulk salt for cooking anyway. I started my frugality right away. The woman was showing me where the salt was (it had been awhile since i had been there) and there was a basket FULL of large russet potatoes with small eyes starting to grow. She said they were free for the taking. I grabbed eight! ROFL I was planning on making potato leek soup today and had forgotten to get taters at the store. Now I didn't have to. They are firm and not one speck of green at all. Just ugly eyes that I will cut off. SCORE!
 If any of you are interested in reading along, you can probably find these books or full book at the library, they have them on Amazon, or if you are lucky to have a used book store also. I will bring up this topic again and again as I continue to read.
I am going to spend the rest of my morning peeling potatoes!

***Amy does not have a website anymore. There are frugal sites but not HER*

2 comments:

  1. I love Amy. She helped keep me home with my son when he was little. Eating at home and using cloth diapers while hanging out laundry was a small price to pay for that. Thanks, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am reading the first book! I need a refresher on the notebook for the grocery store. She explains it but i still feel stupid.
    Each page is one food item, right?

    ReplyDelete