Today was the first day of the Farmer`s market downtown. The pickings were slim because it is early in the season. I did get some garlic snapes to make pesto with, radishes, and 6 small basil plants ($3). I am happy because I missed out on the plants at the community garden sale. We love basil and we love Pesto. I did not have any more room at the garden so I planted them on the side of the house in the small bed where the rosemary is. I had one plant left so I put it in this pot on the porch. It gets really sunny in that spot so it will be good. I will move it if I have to.
Tonight I am making chicken wings and Spanish rice for dinner.
I have a great recipe that I lost but I found a similar one. I will share with you just in case you would like to try.
- 1 tablespoon sofrito sauce (check out recipe # from my recipes)
- 1 (15 ounce) can pigeon peas (any canned bean will do)
- 0.5 (4 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (4 ounce) can Spam (don't ask a lot of people use it, substitute a ham steak)
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package sazon goya
- 6 -10 pitted green olives
- 2 cups rice (rinsed)
- 4 cups water
- Rinse starch off the rice, this IS important.
- Dice ham steak or Spam.
- Pour oil into 4-5 quart cooking pot ( make sure its a large wide pot, not a thin deep one).
- Add sofrito and fry on medium heat for 1 minute.
- Add ham and fry for 1 more minute
- Add tomato sauce and heat through for 30 seconds.
- Add sazon, salt and water and bring to a boil.
- Add pigeon peas and olives and boil 5 minutes.
- Add rice and mix around with spoon once.
- Bring to boil on HIGH heat until water has evaporated to the rice line.
- Lower temperature to low/medium low and cover TIGHT with lid ( add foil or banana leaf if need be to make it a tight seal).
- Cook for 25-30 minutes.
- Uncover, serve and enjoy!