Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Jams, Jellies, and Marmalades






 I had my follow-up ultrasound this morning. I drank plenty of water so that I was fully hydrated. It was still painful this time around but I did not have to drink more and wait for the bladder to fill. I asked the tech if she could tell me one simple thing: Is the 6cm cyst on the left still there? She said she couldn't, but the Dr office will get the results this afternoon. I do not have an appointment until next week. More waiting....

  I am planning on expanding my jam and jelly horizons. I am going to make some for my husband`s godfather and he is going to sell them at his stall at the Farmer`s Market each week. He will pay for the supplies. I want to try some different things along with the old standards. I will do strawberry jam, apple butter, peach preserves, and orange marmalade. I wanted to know if there were things you like or that you would love to try out in a flavor. I also do a really nice raspberry/jalapeno jelly. Tastes good on crackers!
I always grow alot of basil so I am going to see  if I can find some jelly that uses that. But in a non-gross way. LOL I have to get rid of this cabinet behind me (I am giving it away) so that i can buy two wire shelves like the one we already own. I want to can a lot this year. Times are tough and if I can get some foods in jars for the winter, all the better. Especially the local corn in the summer..but I am digressing. We will talk about that at another time.
 I am not doing grape jelly. I heard it is a pain in the ass and I am not in the mood to ruin a batch right at this point in time.
Would you eat Lemon or Lime Marmalade?
Pear Jam or Jelly?
Lavender Jelly?
I will keep searching online for ideas and start jumping in and trying it out.


7 comments:

  1. My last comment was not spam, dammit! lol

    I cannot WAIT until this jam business gets off the ground. I have an absolute weakness for jellies and jams that are homemade. I HATE buying the store stuff. If you will ship, I will buy. I promise this.

    To answer your questions, I don't know if I'd buy lemon or lime marmalade. I would definitely eat it, but I don't know if that would be something I'd take up room in the fridge for. I have a small fridge, so it's all prime real estate. I loathe grape jelly, so you'll get no arguments from me on that. I ADORE pear jam. I will have some of that, thank you. Lavender jelly? I don't know if I've ever had it but I would definitely order that just because. I also like strawberry and blackberry jams. I like jalapeno mixes too. I don't know about the basil, I'm "Meh" on that, so I probably wouldn't order any, but the other stuff... HELL YES!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blackberry is another one I love to make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like red pepper jellies with cream cheese on crackers. I've seen basil paired with peaches and it sounds like it could be good together.
    I would definitely eat lemon marmalade and might try a lemon/lime combo. Lime seems a little more specialized as to what I could put it on but it sounds interesting.
    I've made grape jelly but didn't get enough juice from the grapes and boosted the volume up with red wine. That was an interesting product. I liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea Heidi, right up your alley making jams and jellies. Peach Pineapple is really good, have the old family recipe it you would like it. I love Pear too :) I wonder if you can process pesto? I grow loads of basil every year too and make huge batches of pesto and freeze it in snack bags. 30 seconds in the microwave and it is thawed yum :)

    Hugs,
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you get Victoria's peach-pineapple family recipe, I will buy that too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pineapple I've never heard of that interesting. I am so excited your so talented. I know this is going to be a great success. Wonder what the best sellers will be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Victoria, please share.
    I am thinking of trying the lavender soon. The coop has it in bulk and I will make in half pint jars. I need to buy labels.

    ReplyDelete