Saturday, June 18, 2011

Father`s Day 2011

Natalie, Chelsea, and Fred  Jan. 2010
*277*
What a difference a year makes...that belly on Fred is completely gone.
I did some yard work after I posted. I cut some hostas back because they were blocking walking paths. I pulled up some spiderwort (it is all over the fucking place!) and I pulled some weeds. The sun is hot and it is a teensy bit humid. I have learned that I have to be careful with the skin cancer. So even though I have sun screen on, I do not stay out there too long.
 Tomorrow is Father`s Day. We bought him a goofy t-shirt and we are going to make him a nice meal (really meals..breakfast, Lunch and dinner). I am going to make a big pan of brownies, beef ribs, and Italian rice salad. I do not know if I have ever shared this with you. This is something a friend of Fred`s made for him once. Super easy to make. I usually eyeball this recipe so you have to add or delete to you taste. If you like alot of shrimp, add more. If you do not like alot of cucumbers, use only one.

Italian shrimp salad

Ingredients:

1 box of Orzo, cooked to al dente
2 lbs of cleaned, cooked, peeled, medium sized shrimp (more or less to your taste
2 cucumbers, peeled, seeds removed, and sliced into thin  half moons
1 small red onion, sliced thinly
2 cloves of garlic, minced
Juice of one lemon, rind of same one lemon
1/2 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon dried Oregano
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 lb cubed Feta cheese

Directions:
Follow instructions on the box of pasta for cooking directions. Drain orzo, put in Large bowl and toss with a tablespoon of olive oil. This prevents it from sticking together.
Add onion, garlic, oregano, shrimp, salt and pepper into the bowl of Orzo. Mix. In a small bowl, mix together lemon juice, lemon rind, olive oil, salt and pepper to taste. Whisk until combined. (I sometimes add a big of red pepper flakes to give it a kick).  Pour dressing into bowl of salad. Mix thoroughly.
Last step is to cut the feta into cubes. Sprinkle on top and delicately mix it into the salad. Do not over mix or the feta will crumble.
Cover with plastic wrap or put in covered container and let is sit in fridge for 3 hours or overnight. The more it is left to marinate, the better.
This is a light salad. If you want more dressing for your salad, add more.
You will really enjoy this. It is a refreshing summer treat!

So Fred has to work this weekend..bummer! He is hoping to get off tomorrow because work is not that busy..but things can change in an instant..so we shall see. He will most likely be taking food to work with him. 
He really doesnt care..except for the food! LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment