Sunday, October 14, 2012

Allergy time/Beer/Chia seeds

*265*

  Last night my throat started to hurt and I felt back of the nose icky. Like I had caught a cold. I freaked out a smidge. Chelsea made me some fresh ginger/garlic tea with lemon and local honey in a HUGE cup. I drank almost the entire cup. Took a couple Advil and went to sleep. Today I realize that it is probably just allergies. I do not feel like mega dog shit like when you get a cold. Thank goodness.
 I have been in the mood for a good beer for quite some time. Most of you know I am not much of a drinker but for some reason, I wanted a beeeah! Fred went and picked up a couple bottle of Samuel Adams Octoberfest and two bottles of Shipyard Pumpkinhead ale. You can read about it`s flavors yourself but that was a damn good beer. I drank the whole thing while still cold. If I do not like it, I will not finish it. I still have another one to drink tonight. Am I maturing into a high end beer drinker? I doubt it. I do not like wine so that will never happen either. I just wanted a nice flavored beer and small buzz. Both were given to me deliciously!
   Chelsea had been consuming Chia seeds for the past couple months and I had never given it a try. I have to start losing weight for my head so I think I am going to give it a try. We lucked out one day. The local co-op miss marked a 10 lb bag of bulk chia seeds for $10. Not by the pound but the whole bag. Chia seeds sells for like $15 a lb. I was not going to buy it because I did not want to steal money from the co-op but the boss was there. He said I could buy it at that price. So I did. So we have a shit load of seeds.
 There are some benefits to it. There are some recipes for it. Some other talk about Chia. And yes, this is the same Cha-Cha-Chia that people buy at Christmas to give as a crappy gift. Chia has been a prized food of the Aztecs. People in Mexico have been using it in their diets for years. It is full of Omega-3. The seeds also plump up in water. So you can make a nice drink a half hour before meals and it will curb your appetite or that is what I have heard.  We have so much of it and it is good for you anyway, I am going to give this shit a try.

I will not drink it straight cause I think I might gag, so I am going to try it in a Chia Fresca. I will copy the recipe from this site below.

Chia Fresca

Ingredients for one glass:

  • 12 oz cold, fresh drinking water
  • 1 large lemon (it should produce about 3 tablespoons of juice)
  • 2 teaspoons sugar or sweetener of choice (see below for details)
  • one teaspoon fresh chia seed

    Preparing the Limonda (Lemon-Water) Pour the water into a either a glass or a pitcher (depending on how much you are making.) Roll each lemon while pressing firmly, on a sturdy surface such as a counter. Rolling them like this for about ten seconds, will help loosen up the juices inside. Slice the lemon in half and squeeze the juice into the water. You want about three tablespoons of lemon juice for a single 12 oz. glass, but of course add more or less juice to taste. Stir in the sugar or add sweetener to taste.
    Sweeteners If using granulated sugar or piloncillo, you may want to dissolve it in boiling water first to make a simple syrup otherwise it will take a while for it to dissolve in the cold water. Other sweeteners can be used such as artificial ones like Equal or Splenda, start with a small amount, such as a sprinkle and add more to taste. I find that natural Stevia drops offer the best sweetening power without the extra calories. I use 7-10 drops for a single glass, or one dropper full for a pitcher.
    Adding the Chia Once you have achieved the sweetness level you prefer, it's time to add the chia. Just stir it into the lemon water and let it sit for about 10 minutes. During this time, the seeds will absorb the water and become gelatinous. You can stir it occasionally if the seeds seem to be floating or falling to the bottom. Fresh seeds will float throughout the liquid, while older ones tend to sink to the bottom. If they sink, that is fine, you will just need to stir them up a bit to keep them evenly dispersed.
    Serving the Chia Fresca I like to add a slice or wedge of lemon to my glass for garnish. You can also slice a lemon and let the slices float on the Chia Fresca in the pitcher. You can also add ice to it to chill it, or keep it in the refrigerator to keep it cold. A sprig of mint can also be added to each glass, or whole mint leaves can be added to the top of the pitcher. Mint is very strong and can be overpowering, so it's best to add it just before serving.

So do you think you could drink it? I will give it a try. It cannot be as worse as drinking that Metamucill crap. And chia seeds make you regular too!

Today is a nice overcast Sunday. It is not cold like it was yesterday. I think I am going to finish up here and go back to bed. I know this is probably just an allergy but I feel I need to rest my head so I do not spring any new leaks while this is going on. Plus there is a shit load of pots and pans in the kitchen that I DID NOT dirty, and my ass wants to get as far away as I can from that.

Have a great Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment