Wednesday, November 17, 2010

You want to eat what??

*283*
  My Oldest daughter is a Vegan. This has been so for almost five years. One day she told me she wanted to be a vegetarian. I was okay with that. A year later she declared she was going to be a Vegan. I freaked a bit. What the hell was she going to eat? Was she going to get sick? I thought what everyone thinks. Vegans do not eat (or use) any animal based products or by products. That means no meat, fish, poultry, eggs, cheese, dairy of any kind, casein, or honey. I am just talking about the food part there is so much more to it.  She has actually made herself healthier. She has lost a bit of weight and she has completely cleared up her acne. Her acne was the kind that looked like it hurt. Not just a pimple or two like I dealt with as a kid. She had the kind like my siblings had. The stuff that covered their face and made you feel sorry for them because it just looked so painful. All gone without a dermatologists help. The girl that would only eat corn as a child now eats all the veggies.
  The economy sucks (duh!) and we have to make our food dollars stretch even farther then before. During the Spring and Summer and part of the Fall, I have 2 large organic beds of veggies that I grow in rotation at the community garden. I grow tomatoes and herbs here at the house. Chelsea works for a food initiative that teaches school kids about farming. So we have access to some of that produce also. I can pickled cucumbers and jalapenos. I also can strawberry jam. I want to expand my repertoire  next season. I try to buy local as much as I can afford to. I get local eggs and I buy a very small amount of local beef and pork. We joined a food co-op in our town. We buy our spices in bulk and it is  much more affordable then buying the spice bottles in the grocery store. Chelsea is all about having everything being Organic. You slap the word Organic on something and the price goes up immensely. I understand that it is better for you  but right now I will keep my sights on buying locally and seasonally. If I can do that, I am ahead of the game.
  I love to bake. My Mother let me use the stove at the age of 8 years old and I have been baking ever since.  I quickly  learned how to bake Vegan, it tasted just as good as baking with eggs,  and that is all I do now. It is much healthier for our hearts and bodies. I have served it to people and they were surprised that it was Vegan after they had consumed it. I am changing my way of life but I am not changing who I am. I love the art of baking things (and eating them). I just wanted you all to know that I had already started making it healthier.
  Everyone that knows me says that I can make anyone hungry in a matter of minutes because I love to talk about food. So there will be lots of food talk on this blog. There will be healthy food talk and down and dirty chocolatey food talk. Wait till I talk about Thanksgiving! LOL You may want to send the children to the other room. hehehe
Okay..Enough of this. I have to go run to the grocery store and pick up that fish stock for dinner.

2 comments:

  1. I would love to go vegan. But sometimes I just need some meat. Mostly chicken and fish. But once in awhile ham and steak. But Eric on the other hand. He is a carnivore. He was never really cooked for and never had big meals. Only junk food and cereal growing up. He always wants some kind of meat for dinner. He even eats his steak rare. YUCKY the more bloody the more he likes ewww.

    Ps. Heidi the fidelheads look like some kind of alien plant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL on the Fiddleheads. I love my steak between rare and medium rare. Bloody but not still screaming on the plate.

    ReplyDelete