Monday, November 15, 2010

Bad Assed Bitch

Fred and I bagged leaves. Those there are just the tip of the iceberg. We will have about 20 more to fill. I am showing you this because last year (and the year before that) I could not bag one leaf. My back. She was failing on me. To make a really long boring zzzzzz story short, I had/have two herniated discs..L4 and L5. L5 needed to be fixed by drilling a hole through the bone to get around to the back to fix the herniation. I found out that Morphine is NOT my friend. Oh..I also decided that the day of my surgery was going to be the last day I smoked a cigarette. (more on that later) One of my best friends called me a Bad Ass Bitch for having the guts to go through an agonizing healing time from back surgery (without strong pain meds) AND to stop smoking. The Morphine fucked me up to be perfectly honest.  The Dr had me on a constant drip of that crap. When I had a moment of clarity , I begged him to take me off the constant and just let me push the button. I never pushed the button.  Bad Ass Bitch! I do not like feeling like I am not in control of my faculties . Having to have someone walk me to a potty chair..Nah! Give this Bitch a walker so she can do it on her own..and they did. I had the surgery on November 17th and I went home the evening of November 18th. Bad Assed Bitch! The Dr wanted me to take Dilaudid before I left the hospital and that was going to be my pain relief. The Nurses told me after he left that it was WORSE then the dosage of Morphine that I had been taking. So we conspired..hehehe I had two bottles of Vicodin left from when I had the series of cortisone shots in my spine, so that could be my pain relief. They convinced the Dr that I needed to be lucid to be able to walk up all of those stairs to my bedroom. He allowed it. I never took one of those pills.
  I want to say something. If you are ever faced with having spinal surgery..do exactly what the Dr says to do for your aftercare. If you work, stay home for at least a month after the surgery, two months would be better if you can do it. No bending, No reaching, No lifting for two months. Only go up and down the stairs once a day. Get some walking in outside as soon as you can to strengthen those spinal muscles that have been cut. Take pain relief when you need it. I wore socks, slippers, and PJ bottoms to my Dr office visits because they were easiest. I went grocery shopping with the family but they did all the work..I used it as a form of exercise. Your stitches are going to ITCH! Do not scratch it. Hubs would scratch around it. When I woke up from the surgery, my right foot was numb. I was told that it will get better with time. It has but there are sometimes when it will go numb still to this day.

 So I can bend over and pick up leaves. I can reach up for the casserole dishes. I can lift the groceries out of the car. Dammit! I had the life of Riley while I was in pain. Now I am back at the drudgery of life.
Oh well...I am still a Bad Assed Bitch though.

No comments:

Post a Comment