Saturday, November 20, 2010

Turkey Day..Gobble Gobble Gobble


*282*

 Today, November 20, 2010 is my Turkey day. I have a nice big whole turkey breast to roast with all the usual trimmings. My girls do not want to celebrate Thanksgiving anymore. The reason is because of what the holiday really represents. Genocide, pestilence, disease, and death. I thought of it as just a day to eat my oh so loved Turkey and watch some floats on tv. I guess I was ignorant and wrong. But I still want my damn turkey dinner!
 Last year at this time I was recovering  from the back surgery. I was told that I would not be able to cook and Hubs had to work Thanksgiving last year. Oldest was going to be in Tennessee so it was just going to be me and Youngest for the day. So I decided to cook Thanksgiving dinner a week before my surgery. For actual Thanksgiving, Hubs went out and bought Chinese food for us. It was not our usual place (because they were closed) and it was really bad. Yuck Yuck Yuck!
 For this Thanksgiving, I am making Mexican food. So far on the menu is crock pot refried beans, carne asada tacos, guacamole with chips, and chicken quesadillas. I am having a hard time pretending that it is not a holiday. You know what I mean. I am supposed to just cook like any other day. It is hard on me. It is going to take a few years of practice. Today I am making the turkey breast, sausage stuffing, roasted brussel sprouts, string bean casserole (yuck), mashed potatoes, gravy, and corn bread. I have a can of cranberry sauce in the cabinet also. I love turkey and I know I could cook it anytime but there is something about having the first meal in November. The whole process. I love it.
I will enjoy it. But I will not overindulge. I am going to be making a pumpkin pie also. Yum! That is not for any specific day. I just want to have it and I want to use our sugar pumpkins before they go bad.
Yup, I am going to make home made pumpkin pie (not from the can!) My Mom would have been so proud. LOL
Oh, I almost forgot. I got my first delivery today of fresh farm eggs. They will be delivered every Saturday (except near holidays). I love it. Now we need a milk man and bring back the soda man too!

No comments:

Post a Comment