Sunday, November 20, 2011

Now that`s a fire!

*266*

I had to call 911 yesterday.

Yesterday I planned on putting plastic on the windows in living room, general cleaning and cooking something nice cause Fred has the day off. It was a beautiful day and I just did not want to go anywhere. I was being fucking lazy! I even laid on the couch with my phone and went on Facebook. LAZY! I guess lazy was good yesterday. I got up to clean off the window sills to start putting the tape up for my winterization of the windows. All of a sudden I saw a puff of smoke by the window. I thought that I might have sprayed some of the windex into the outlet. So I unplugged the lamp. Then I saw another puff of smoke. I look in basement..nothing. I go back to the outlet, touch the wall, and it was hot. I went into SUPER MOM! mode. I grabbed phone, called 911, told them. They said get out of the house. I yelled for Natalie to throw warm clothes on and grab Lu (who was on my bed), Chelsea grabbed a cat, Natalie grabbed a cat, and I grabbed my cell, keys, put on slippers, grabbed Perla , and leashed Ruby. All went into the Jeep. No one was screaming or freaking out..Just calmly get the fuck out.
And we did not scramble trying to get the animals. They were all within our vicinities so it was just a quick grab and go. They came and turned off all the circuits to the living room. Just in case. The breaker for that room got overloaded and that is why the wall was getting hot. Two new things had happened. We bought that new heater for the living room AND I changed the bulb outside on the front porch. So one of these, both of these, or none of these did it. Fred has a really close friend that works as electrician at the hospital. He said it is simple to fix and figure out. He will be over on Monday morning.
I want all the outlets in the living room changed and I want to learn how to do it, so I can do the rest of them in the house. I have a book to teach me but I would rather SEE it being done.
I was scared afterward. I was thinking about all the whatifs. What if that happened while we were sleeping? Or when we went out of the house? We would have lost the house, the animals and ourselves.
 There was something that tipped me off that saved us. I bought these insulating inserts that you put between the wall and the outlet cover. It has the holes like the cover. They are used to block the air coming from outside walls. That is where the puff of smoke was coming from. That thing was melting from the heat. If I had not put that there, I would not have seen the smoke, and who knows what would have happened!
Everything happens for a reason, i guess.
We are all okay.
A bit scared but okay.

1 comment:

  1. Oy vay! How scary that must have been. So glad you and the house are all alright! :)

    ReplyDelete