Thursday, November 3, 2011

No more yummy Lobster either...


*269*<---yes, that is correct!

I went to the Allergist yesterday. One of the greatest things is that she had to weigh me.  I told her my scale was broken and I wanted to see if I had lost any more weight. WooHoo! So for all of you that are following along, if I was using my old scale, it would say that I weight 259..cause it was broken. But I am truly 269. So I am moving along rather nicely. I have clothes that are floating on me AND my stomach is going down. I can tell MYSELF. Pretty cool.

About the allergist. I have to have bloodwork done for all shellfish and latex. Shrimp, lobster, crab, mussels, clams, oysters, and scallops. Most likely I will only be allergic to the first three. Then I have to be careful when dining out. Many places do not have seperate bins for people with allergies. You have to talk to the manager to make sure that it is safe. The Dr had a patient that got an allergic reaction to eating french fries at a restaurant You can become so sensitive that the oil the food is cooked in can transfer to you.
I learned alot. I need to keep both epipens in my purse. Just in case one doesnt work, there is the other one. I need to call 911 if I use my epipen to be evaluated.
So I will do the blood work tomorrow when I do my errands. Then I go in for latex scratch test and then the seafood scratch tests. I think I can live without eating shrimp, lobster and crab even though they are soooo yummy. It wont be such a tragedy if I can still eat the mollusks. Crossing fingers!

I will probably not be posting tomorrow and I leave on Saturday morning for the weekend. I am off to have some fun with my friend and meet some mini peeps and spend some money!
Yay!

1 comment:

  1. My sister goes into anaphylactic shock if she has anything that has remotely come in contact with eggs.

    This has a wide ranging effect on her diet. Soups and coffees are clarified with egg shells for example.

    When she eats out she must rely on the workers in the restaurant to diligently search out if her food comes into contact with egg. Restaurant workers are not known for their diligence. The staff is usually populated with indifferent young adults who are putting in their time to get a cheque.

    Be. Very. Careful.

    I watched my sister go into shock after a server assured her there was no egg in the breading for the chicken breast she ordered. As she began turning red and having difficulty breathing, he came up and asked if it was ok if the breast was dipped in egg white? Mystery solved. Her husband administered the epi and took her off for the nearest hospital while we milled about in helpless worry. The manager's only concern was that nobody else leave without settling the bill.

    Did I mention be careful? Be careful.

    ReplyDelete